Why Is Choosing a Mattress So Important for You?
Many of us sleep at night without giving any thought to our beds. But your mattress can actually make a big difference to your quality of rest and overall health. A worn-out or poorly made mattress can lead to a lack of sleep, plus aches and pains. 
If you’re already convinced that a new mattress is needed to solve your sleep issues, you have one last thing to consider — how to choose the right mattress to prevent your old problems. Even if you’ve narrowed down the type of mattress for you, there are many brands to select from.
To help you through the process, we’re going to discuss memory foam mattresses from 2 popular brands — Nectar and Molecule. They also happen to follow the mattress-in-a-box delivery system, which makes moving it to your home much easier.
In this article, you’ll find out if these 2 brands really live up to all the hype. And by the end you’ll hopefully have all the information you need to decide which one is the best for you!
Nectar and Molecule Mattresses
Both Nectar and Molecule are mattress companies that follow the mattress-in-a-box delivery model. Nectar’s mission is to bring affordable, high-quality mattresses to consumers. While Molecule seeks to provide athletic individuals with comfortable sleep for optimal recovery.
What is Memory Foam?
Memory foam is viscoelastic polyurethane foam, originally developed by NASA engineers. Its most unique quality is that it adapts to your body shape as you lie on it and returns to its original shape when released. This allows it to provide a good mixture of comfort and support to the body. [1, 3]
Why a Mattress in a Box?
Mattress-in-a-box refers to a packing and delivery process used by mattress companies. What happens is that the mattress is compressed, vacuum-packed, and rolled up into a compact box before being sent to the customer. This allows people to have an easier time getting their mattresses to their home.
These companies also allow consumers to buy online direct from them — the manufacturer themselves. This means you save on cost by cutting out commissions usually received by a middleman sales representatives. Plus, if you have any issues with the mattress, you can get assistance directly from the brand.
Molecule and Nectar Mattresses Compared
20% off for a limited time: Molecule
The Molecule 1 Mattress Review
The Molecule Mattress Story
Albert Oh and Raymond Lyle founded Molecule in California in 2018. Their mattresses are scientifically designed to help active people achieve optimal recovery during sleep. They’re especially famous for their temperature-regulation technology, which helps promote comfortable rest and deeper sleep.
Molecule is backed by sleep experts, including Dr. Daniel Barone, Associate Medical Director of the Weill Cornell Center for Sleep Medicine. And famous athletes also attest to its effectiveness.
This includes gold medal Olympian Michael Phelps and his wife Nicole (former Miss California). Plus Alex Morgan (female footballer) and Russell Wilson (Seattle Hawks quarterback).
Molecule offers a range of models, including one with even more airflow than the Molecule 1, the Molecule 2 AirTEC, and a hybrid mattress (memory foam and springs mix).
They also sell an adjustable bed designed for use with any of their mattresses.
Molecule 1 Memory Foam Mattress Construction
The Molecule mattress has an advanced cover made from a polyester-lycra blend with an embedded temperature-sensitive polymer. This material adjusts to the level of evaporation and cooling as your body temperature changes.
Under the cover, it has three foam layers:
- Restoreflo layer: Two inches of open-cell memory foam for pressure relief. It’s also infused with gel beads for temperature regulation.
- Recoveryflo layer: A three-inch polyfoam transitional layer with varying zone support. Firmer design for the back regions and softer foam for the head and legs.
- Contourflo layer: A seven-inch base layer of high-density polyfoam. It provides strong spinal support and is also breathable.
20% off for a limited time: Molecule
Key Features of the Molecule 1 Mattress
Here’s a quick look at the best qualities of the Molecule 1:
- Air-Engineered™ technology for temperature-regulation helps promote cool and restful sleep. It has 3x more airflow than normal memory foam. They use a mixture of gel-infused microbeads and heat-sensitive polymer materials to achieve this.
- Specifically designed for athletes and active individuals to promote optimal rest and recovery.
- Variable support zones that adjust to different areas of your body (e.g. firmer support at back regions, softer at the head).
- High-quality foam manufactured in the USA.
- Less ‘off gassing,’ so there’s no need to air out their new mattresses before use.
- 100-night, risk-free trial. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, simply return it during this period, and you will get a full refund.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- 0% financing with Klarna.
Is the Molecule 1 Mattress Good for Couples?
Molecule 1 is good for couples because the foam material reduces motion transfer. This means less sleep disturbance for everyone.
Is the Molecule Mattress Worth It?
The Molecule 1 mattress is worth it for active people that want cooler sleep.
It places a lot of emphasis on its air-flow technology embedded into the advanced top layer of their mattresses. So it might be a better choice over Nectar for those that overheat easily.
It also has many professional athlete supporters who vouch for its effectiveness in promoting restorative sleep.
In terms of comfort, we also saw several customer reviews saying it provides good support. The Molecule mattress was even effective in reducing hip pain for some users. It seems to suit back and side sleepers best and couples or people who have pets sleeping in the bed.
Added bonuses include its less pollutive manufacturing systems that also reduce ‘off-gassing.’ That means fewer nasty smells when you first unroll it.
Plus, they offer a 100-night risk-free trial. So you can always return it and receive a refund if you’re satisfied with your purchase.
365-day trial: Nectar
Nectar Mattress Review
Founded by Craig Schmeizer and others in 2016, California-based Nectar sought to provide the most comfortable “mattress-in-a-box” at an affordable price.
They offer a range of memory foam mattress models, including those made from premium materials with thicker layers. The brand has also expanded into making home furnishings like bed bases and bedroom furniture.
Nectar’s Memory Foam Mattress Construction
Under its breathable poly-blend cover, the mattress has 4 layers:
- Smart layer with 3-inch gel-infused memory foam that adjusts to your body temperature to keep you comfortable.
- 2 inches of dynamic support layer that conforms to your body shape to provide optimal support.
- 7-inch standard memory foam base layer to support upper layers and your body weight.
- Shift-resistant lower cover keeps all the foam layers secure and in place no matter how much you move on it.
365-day trial: Nectar
Key Features of the Nectar Mattress
Here’s a quick look at the Nectar mattress’ key features:
- Plush memory foam feel that’s also supportive: comfortably soft, providing a cuddled in feeling. But it also has firmness in the right areas so that you can have correct spinal alignment.
- Suits any sleep position but is especially good for side sleepers: the softness helps relieve pressure from shoulders and hips. It’s rated 6.5/10 for firmness (which is considered medium-firm).
- Affordable pricing compared to store-bought mattresses.
- Many freebies on offer: their deals often include free pillows, a mattress protector, and more.
- Forever warranty for peace of mind and added value.
- 365-night trial allows you to try it risk-free: This is exceptionally long compared to the industry standard, usually around 100 days.
- Free shipping within the US.
- Financing available.
Is the Nectar Mattress Good For Couples?
The Nectar mattress is a good choice for couples because the memory foam material has motion suppression features. It would also work well if a restless pet sleeps on your bed too.
Is the Nectar Mattress Worth It?
Overall, the Nectar mattress is worth it for those wanting a quality mattress with lots of added value. Their usual discounts include free bedding like pillows, protectors, and sheets which enhances the value of the total package. Also, the 365-day trial period means you can return it and receive a refund if you don’t like it at any point in the first year.
In terms of whether it works well as a mattress, it has many enthusiastic supporters who rave about its comfort and value. It’s even won several industry awards. Based on reviews, it seems to suit people who are side sleepers and those who like a soft to medium mattress feel. With great motion suppression, it’s also good for couples or people who sleep with pets.
Nectar vs Molecule: Mattress Comparison
We’ve compared the standard queen-size mattresses (60 inches wide by 80 inches long) from each brand side by side.
60W x 80L x 12H inches
60W x 80L x 12H inches
|Suitable bed frames||All types||All types|
|Type of sleeper||Very good for back and good for side sleepers||Very good for back and for side sleepers|
|Materials||Different foams, including memory foam.
Quilted poly-blend cover
|Different foams, including memory foam
Polyester-lycra cover with additional cooling technology
|Environmental friendliness||CertiPUR-US® certified safe for indoor use||CertiPUR-US® certified safe for indoor use
97% reduced emissions for US-made foam
|Technology||Cooling gel-infused memory foam
Dynamic support foam
|Air-Engineered technology for cool sleep
Variable zone support foam
|Support||Medium-firm rating of 6.5
Reviewers rate it slightly softer between 5 and 6.5
|Not officially published but many rate it medium-firm|
|Where they deliver to||US||US|
|Delivery cost||Free shipping within the contiguous US||Free shipping in the US|
|Ease of cleaning||Spot cleaning advised||Spot cleaning advised|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty||Infinity warranty|
|Financing||From $67/month, 0% APR||From $79/month, 0% financing|
|Price at date of publication||$1,298||$899|
|Trial Period||365 days to return||100 days to return|
|Review summary||4.3/5 stars from 1925 reviews||4.3/5 stars from 289 reviewers|
|Special Offer||365 day trial: Nectar||20% off for a limited time: Molecule|
Both Nectar and Molecule also offer free extras with mattress purchases (although this can change with different sale promotions).
Pricing Comparison: Nectar and Molecule Mattress Models
Here’s a quick cost comparison between other Nectar and Molecule models (in Queen size):
Nectar Mattress Prices
|The Nectar Mattress||$1,298|
|The Nectar Premier Mattress||$1.797|
|The Nectar Premier Copper Mattress||$2,197|
365-day trial: Nectar
Molecule Mattress Prices
|Molecule 2 AirTec||$1,099|
|Molecule Hybrid Mattress||$1,899|
20% off for a limited time: Molecule
What the World Thinks about Molecule
Molecule Customer Reviews
Molecule 1 had an average score of 4.3 out of 5 stars from 289 reviewers across 2 websites (Wayfair.com and Target).
Here’s a summary of what the reviewers had to say about it:
- Restful sleep for most customers.
- Has the right balance of support and softness — but several said that it will suit those that like a firmer feel.
- Suited a variety of sleep positions for those that move around at night.
- Low motion transfer was good for couples.
- Helped with back pain for some former athletes.
- Customer service was great for many — they even changed the free sheets to a different size for one person.
- Easy to move around in box packaging.
Unfortunately, the cooling technology was mixed for customers. Some raved about how it helped to reduce overheating, but this was not the case for others. This is possibly because there is a limit to how breathable a foam mattress can be when you compare it to other designs like spring or hybrid. But generally, Molecule 1 does appear to be on the cooler side within the foam category.
365-day trial: Nectar
What the World Thinks about Nectar
Nectar Customer Reviews
The Nectar mattress had an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars from 1,925 reviews across 2 websites (Amazon and Consumer Affairs).
Customer reviews for Nectar’s mattresses are generally very enthusiastic. Here’s a look at what some reviewers have been saying:
- Many had restful sleep with Nectar: it provided a good mixture of comfort and support for most.
- Value for money: it was much more affordable than big-brand mattress companies, and equally comfortable.
- Plush, foam feel was comfortable: generally suits all sleep positions, but it was especially good for back and side sleepers.
- Some experienced less back pain after sleeping on Nectar mattresses.
- Fast shipping: and an easy purchasing experience.
- Easy to move around the house: after being delivered in the rolled-up format.
A few people found it a little hot or did not like the “sinking” feeling of memory foam. But the vast majority were happy with the level of comfort.
Another letdown for some was the lack of customer service — although the vast majority of customers didn’t seem to have issues with this.
Here’s a look at some customer reviews:
How it Works
- Choose the mattress model and size you want.
- Provide your details and make payment: with Nectar, you can pay by PayPal or Amazon Pay. Molecule offers Shop Pay, Apple Pay, and Paypal. Both also have financing plans (from $67/month for Nectar and $79/month for Molecule).
- Your mattress will be delivered to you in a box: take the box to your bedroom. (It’s easier to move a box than a mattress).
- Unbox and unroll the mattress onto your bed frame: after removing the packaging, the mattress will decompress between 24- 72 hours (depending on the brand).
Manufacturing smells (off-gassing) from the Molecule mattress are slight but may linger for a few hours. The Nectar mattress smell may be a little stronger and linger for some days.
Which Mattress is Better, Nectar or Molecule?
If having a mattress with temperature-regulation features is your priority, then Molecule is most likely the better option. On the other hand, Nectar may be better for those that want more value from their mattress with free add-ons.
In terms of comfort, both seem to be similar as they’re both made from memory foam materials. And most reviews state that they have medium firmness.
Here’s a closer look at how each brand is better suited for different people.
Reasons to Choose Nectar
Nectar is a famous mattress-in-a-box brand that’s been recognized with multiple awards. But the customer reviews really speak for themselves. Many have praised its comfortable, plush feel. So this makes it ideal for those that prefer a medium-firm mattress.
It’s also great for those that like more added value with their purchase. It throws in a lot of bonus products for free (like pillows, sheets, and protective cover) and has an exceptionally long trial period (365 nights).
Reasons to Choose Molecule
Molecule offers specialized cooling technology, which is a better choice for very active people or those who tend to overheat. The support level is also good, and some customer reviews from previous athletes mentioned that it has helped with back pain.
The environmentally conscious may also favor Molecule as their foam manufacturing process reduces 97% of carbon emissions compared to standard methods. This also helps with reducing the “new mattress” smell during the first few days.
In terms of value, Molecule 1 is cheaper than Nectar’s standard mattress, but you may not get as many freebies.
In summary, both Nectar and Molecule have their merits and will cater to different needs.
This is why it’s worth making use of their home trials to see what works best. If it doesn’t suit you, simply return the mattress and request a refund within the trial period, and you’ll get your money back.
FAQs: Nectar and Molecule mattresses
Must you flip the Nectar and Molecule 1 mattresses?
No, but it’s good practice to rotate the mattress every few months.
Do you need a mattress protector for Nectar and Molecule mattresses?
A mattress protector is recommended because it helps to keep your mattress clean and stops deterioration from spilling liquids.
Do you need a mattress topper for Nectar or Molecule mattresses?
You don’t need a mattress topper for either of these mattresses, but it can be useful if you want more cushioning.
Can I try Nectar and Molecule mattresses before I buy them?
At the time of writing, Nectar is stocked at physical stores that allow you to test them before buying. But not Molecule.
However, you can also make use of their trial periods to really get a feel of them in your own home (Nectar 365 days and Molecule 100 nights). This means if you find that either product is not suitable, simply return it during the trial period and you’ll get a refund.
Do the edges of Nectar and Molecule mattresses sag over time?
All mattresses sag over time due to wear and tear. But Nectar’s warranty covers sagging of more than one and a half inches, while Molecule’s warranty covers sagging of more than 1 inch.
Can Nectar and Molecule mattresses be used on adjustable beds?
Yes, both Nectar and Molecule mattresses can be used on adjustable beds.