Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 40-45 minutes
Ages: Little kids to Teens
Difficulty: Easy Peasy
Makes: 8 bowls
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 pints of vegetable broth
- 12 basil leaves, finely chopped
- In a large pot saute onions and garlic for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes and diced tomatoes and saute for a further three minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer covered for 35 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the basil leaves, and using an immersion blender blend the soup until everything is well combined.
Our step-by-step guide:
Saute your onions and garlic in a large pan for 5 minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes (both canned and fresh)
Add your broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
Put the lid on the pan. Simmer for 35 minutes.
Add your basil and your salt and pepper and blend to a smooth consistency using an immersion blender or your food processor (in batches).
Enjoy with grilled cheese or even as a sauce for pasta!