Hearty apple oat bran muffins
These are apple cinnamon muffins with a twist. They’re sweetened with honey rather than refined sugars, and they also have that one special ingredient, oat bran. And why do we love oat bran? It has more protein and much higher levels of fibre than regular oatmeal. So it can keep little tums working better and feeling fuller for longer.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
Apple oat bran muffins
- 100 grams oat bran (just over 1 cup)
- 90 grams rolled oats (1 cup)
- 250 grams grated Bramley cooking apples (about 2 medium apples)
- ¾ cup honey (180 mls)
- 1 egg
- 120 grams melted butter slightly salted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- oil spray or butter (for greasing)
Oat bran crumble
- 2 tablespoons light brown Muscovado sugar (20 grams)
- 12 grams butter chopped into small cubes while cold
- 7 tablespoons oat bran (75 grams)
- ½ tablespoon milk
Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350°F) fan setting.
Mix together the melted butter and honey in a medium sized bowl until combined.
Add in the egg, vanilla essence and grated apples. Mix again.
In a small blender, whizz together the rolled oats until they’re like a coarse flour.
Add in the blended rolled oats and the oat bran to the mixture, along with the cinnamon and baking powder.
Take a 12 piece muffin tray and spray the base with an oil spray or line with muffin cases.
Spoon in the batter to each muffin case until level with the top.
Make the oat crumble by adding the ingredients into a small bowl. Spend a few minutes mashing them together with your fingers. You should end up with a coarse crumble.
Sprinkle this over the tops of your muffins.
Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Give them a couple of minutes to cool down.